Wednesday, January 14, 2009

As an interpreter...

Being an interpreter, for the Deaf, is a rather peculiar career. I have come to realize that lately, more so that before. People who are not involved directly with my field have no idea what it is I do for a living. I am the fly on the wall of everyone's daily lives. I see and hear things that are personal, private and often uncomfortable. I am the extra person in the room when you get your yearly exam. I am an extra pair of eyes when you've been given your pink slip. I'm also there for joyous occasions: when you say "I do" or give birth to your child or you're presenting to a standing ovation. I facilitate communication between people who don't share a language or culture.

I am a tool, a resource, a conduit, but I'm not a robot. I too am human and experience the same things, but must keep them to myself. Often my position is misinterpreted: the friend or the family member or the personal assistant. I am a trained professional and certified as such. Ad nauseam, I have to explain my position and how to properly "use" an interpreter. Yet, I'm not complaining. It's part of the field and something I've learned to accept.

I just find it interesting. How many fields, like mine, are misunderstood?

No comments: