Thursday, March 12, 2009

Taking the high road

Recently I've had the rare and wonderful opportunity to deal with a personality so vile that it has tested my limits as an interpreter. The assignment is a multilayered and complex one and I was not able to fully gasp the ramifications of what I had taken on until I was knee deep into the situation.

Now I have had options to bow out gracefully and could have chosen to be reassigned. But I chose to stay and tollerate this person's behaviors instead. I have outweighed the good with the bad and decided that staying is the better alternative. The clients are satisfied and it's not the message with which I have struggled.

This senario had been a true test of my ethical decision making abilities and my ability to filter out judgement and reaction. Only in time will I be able to fully appreciate this challenging situation and know whether or not I was successful. Either way I will have learned something.

1 comment:

Eileen O'Shea said...

wow! you sure are an amazing person! keep on keeping on...