Sunday, October 19, 2008

Vote No on Prop 8

I can not believe that people are so up in arms about this proposition. How does this directly affect anyone, but those who are being discriminated against. In our neighborhood, I'm seeing signs for Yes on Prop 8, but very few opposing it.

I thought we had arrived at the 21 century where Americans were more civilized, thoughtful and respectful. England, Canada, Spain and various other countries have adopted laws to protect gay marriage, but the United States is so entrenched in their Puritan roots that we won't let go of the past.

I'm losing faith in our humanity here in the USA. No one cares for their neighbors, elders or downtrodden. The focus seems to be on making sure that people tow the line and focus on themselves. Patriotism and the American flag, once representing our quest for freedom and righting injustice, now is used as a weapon to separate us: us versus them, right versus left, terrorists versus freedom fighters and so on. I only hope that I am respired on November 4th and that this country turns onto a more positive path.

No comments: